Monday, September 22, 2014

Progression comes with hard work!

  For my capstone course in black feminism and sexual politics I have begun writing a paper discussing my knowledge gained from the materials so far examined in the course. I have to explain how I can relate these concepts into everyday life and examine how feminists' beliefs can help liberate any kind of oppressed peoples. So far I have not had an issue understanding the course material and even find myself inspired by some of the readings. Where I run into any issue, is having to write the material and have the paper have a sense of "flow". The materials I have reviewed are from varying books, articles, essays, pod casts, and videos. It becomes challenging when having to keep up with these readings and on top of that write a paper that brings together all these ideas.
  I have written just about 5 pages of my paper so far and have submitted it as my rough draft. So far I have had no response, but am anticipating much work to be done on editing and correcting the paper. The advantage of having started the paper early has given me the opportunity to spend more time on corrections. Hopefully there wont be too many!! Sometimes I do tend to write/speak/think on a tangent from my original idea. I think that this is a direct effect of my ADHD.....but I digress!
  I have still not watched all of the videos that were assigned for us to watch, but I don't think that this should impeded my papers advancement too much as I already have a plethora of materials to work with. I keep coming across a similar theme between the readings and thats equality, social hegemony, and mass media portrayal! Mass media effects how people portray other people and ideas....This in turn produces a society with similar hegemonic ideologies, even though we may not actively practice in this way we may submissively and not reluctantly do so. This type of belief pushes people into corners and boxes and those outside are left hopeless and helpless allowing for easier ruling or domination. This type of practice, a type very common in US values, openly allows segregation and oppression.
  Writing this paper is forcing me to see the myriad amount of problems that oppressed people must overcome. It becomes apparent that oppression and hegemonic dominating societies creates loops of entrapment for underprivileged! It almost appears that these people are hopeless. It's very saddening when you see people struggle for something that you may already have! Either way writing this paper has opened my eyes even further and has made me more of an advocate for any kind of liberation from oppression.

No comments:

Post a Comment